Thursday, November 3, 2011

Free Author Interview: Jaimie Hope

Self Published Authors would like to introduce you to Jaimie Hope, a women who's drive to succeed shows that you can reach your dreams as long as you're willing to work for it.  Thanks Jaimir!

Author Name:  Jaimie Hope

Where can we find your book:  Either through my website http://www.jaimiehope.com or Amazon.

How much does it cost?  $2.99

Tell us a little about your book:  My novel, When You Come Back To Me Again, is a follow up to my first novel, Who Says You Can't Go Home? Both books were based on personal experiences though both were also highly fictionalized.

In the first book, the main character, Sara Rhea, loses her boyfriend when he passes away suddenly while she's out of town. This new book takes place three years after Sara Rhea lost her beloved, James. Many changes have gone on around her, yet she seems unable to move forward.

Finally, in an effort to help, Becca invites her on her annual trip to Salem, Massachusetts. Sara is skeptical, but agrees to go along figuring she could at least satisfy the history buff in her by seeing the place the Salem Witch Trials took place if nothing else should happen. Still, she can't help hoping she'll find the answers she seeks while worrying she's in over her head. Only time will tell.

Do you have any upcoming projects: In addition to writing Young Adult Romance novels, I also write Children's picture books. In the same week I e-published When You Come Back To Me Again, I also e-published the third installment of my children's series, The Adventures of Baby Jaimie. Currently I am working on my fourth installment. I am also working on my second Paranormal Romance, If I Die Young.

What has your journey as a writer been like? For as long as I could remember I've created stories in my head, so when I decided I wanted to be an author it seemed logical. What I didn't realize at the time was making that decision was the easiest part of the process. I had no idea what I was doing. Luckily, I had the internet to turn to for answers. That made the process a little easier. Five years later I'm still learning with every new book.

Why did you choose to self-publish?  I had submitted the manuscript to my first book, The Adventures of Baby Jaimie to traditional publishers a few times, and got rejected each time. When Scholastic rejected me "for lacking educational value", I seriously began doubting my career choice. It wasn't until I had lunch with an old friend from high that I even heard about self-publishing. I told her about my book and she saw the educational value in it, so she told me about another friend of hers who is a self-published author. By the end of the lunch, I already decided that was what I was going to do.

Would you do it again? With seven self-published titles, I will definitely continue doing it in the future.

Please share some advice to help future authors:  A career in writing takes many things. Tenacity and Flexibility are necessary when dealing with editors and consumers. Before you even get to that point, the number one trait you must possess is Discipline. Writing is not your typical 9 to 5 job. You don't have a boss standing over your shoulder making you produce. If a writing career is what you really want you have to be willing to make it happen.

Do you have a favorite character and why? I don't really have a favorite character. All the characters I've created are special to me for different reasons.

Who is your favorite author and why?  I have a few favorites. Among them are Nora Roberts, Fannie Flagg, Jude Deveraux, and Lyn Horner. I like them all because they are all wonderful storytellers who can transport me from my chair right into their storylines.

What one person has impacted your life the most?  Everyone who has ever been in my life has impacted me in one way or another. For that reason, it is hard to choose just one.

What drives you to write?  As I stated earlier, I've created stories for myself for years. What drives me to write them down is my desire to share my experience with others since most of my writing was inspired by some true-life experience.

How do you plan to promote your book? This has been the hardest part of the process for me. My local papers are no longer covering my new releases. Since I currently have two new e-books I am offering to email a free copy of either for review to anyone who has a blog.

Is there anything unique about yourself that you would like your readers to know?  I was born with Spina Bifida and am wheelchair bound. This is part of the reason why I write two very different genres. My children's book series, The Adventures of Baby Jaimie is based on my experiences growing up disabled.

How do you create your characters?  Most of my characters have been inspired by people I know.

What was the process you used to write your manuscript?  I've never used only one process to write any of my manuscripts. I often start writing in a notebook and then switch to typing on my computer. If I get stuck on an idea I generally switch back again.

What time of day do you write best? I write any hour of the day, but my best ideas tend to strike in the middle of the night.

How do you juggle life around your writing?  When other things need my attention during the day and I can't get to my writing I usually stay up and do some writing for a few hours late in the evening.

What struggles have you overcome as a writer?  I've become a published author even though many publishers rejected me.


No comments:

Post a Comment